Imagine you've decided to buy a new notebook. Usually it takes while to find the right one - especially in the field of 3d visualization. But you made it, bought it and went through the process of reinstallation of your operating system and all the little tools one needs.
And after days of having fun - joke - you want to start working with 3ds max and find out more about the performance of your new machine.
BTW I am not talking about cracked tools, I'm talking about legal software.
First thing you do - you check out websites of your software manufacturer to find out all the little details one has to know to do it right!
Autodesk told me to export my existing license via their tool called license transfer utility.
After exporting a little message told me, that my license'd been exported sucessfully.
So I reinstalled 3ds max on my new notebook and every time I tried to activate the license clicking on the button "I have a license key" 3ds max crashed.
It took me a while to find a solution and I found it here - The workaround was for 3ds Max 2017 but it worked pretty well for 2018 as well:
...I thought it might be helpful to share it... :-)
natashal84 from Autodesk wrote:
Reset Licensing 2017 & newer products
Need to enter a serial number for your renewal
Residual files seem to indicate that you have a stand-alone license.
The FLEXnet Licensing Service is stopped and/or disabled.
The LGS.data file is corrupt or failed to install.
Redirection of HTTP traffic caused by malware.
- Close your Autodesk program.
- Delete the three (3) files prefixed with Adskflex from the following folder:
Note: The above files are Hidden files. You may need to enable Show Hidden Files in Folder options.
- Locate the following folder:
- Rename this folder to: ADUT2
- Browse to the following folder:
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\<product key>_<product version>
- In this folder, do one of the following:
- Open the LGS.Data file, change value to _USER _STANDALONE or _NETWORK, and save the file.
- Delete the contents of the folder.
- When you launch your Autodesk software, you will be prompted to sign in or (if you have a Serial Number please use it)
If the above solution does not work please try the following solution:
- Disable your Antivirus Software.
- Create a new activation file via the following steps:
- Remove all files under C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ADUT. You may need to show hidden files and folders if you cannot see the AppData folder.
- Under C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ADUT, delete the ProdInd_UserInd.cur file.
- Go to C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet and delete any files that start with adskflex.
- Run your Autodesk product and try activating.
After that procedure I was able get back to the license activation and used the Virtual Agent to get 3ds max activated.
With kind regards